Sunday, October 26, 2014

Eggplant Rounds

So we have been without a stove for exactly 1 week. It all started last Sunday...we came home from doing a big grocery shopping day and Kevin was going to make our favorite Filipino dish. We had grand plans to make this yummy eggplant dish and lasagna with eggplant...so needless to say I had a lot of eggplant in my crisper drawer. The stove broke while Kevin was making dinner! We went out  Sunday night and had to buy a new stove, unfortunately it wasn't available to be delivered until yesterday. Our stove and oven are two separate pieces, which means more expensive. We don't use our oven that much so we decided to forego that expense right now until I get my bonus. Kevin was going to install it yesterday (Home Depot doesn't do installation and Kevin knows a little bit about electrical stuff since he works in the field), but the wires are all messed/mixed up and he didn't feel comfortable working on it so now we have someone coming to look at it. Needless to say, it has been an expensive week!


I decided to make this eggplant dish to use up some of the eggplant. I didn't know what I was doing, but decided to just "wing it" bc I was tired of eating quick easy meals. It took much longer to make since I didn't have a stove or oven and had to use a TOASTER OVEN! I had to make it in batches, but it turned out so yummy! I'm definitely going to have to try this in a "real" oven next time!

Gather it:
1 large eggplant, cut into 1.5" rounds
Olive oil, about 7 Tbsp
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 Tbsp dried oregano
1 Tbsp dried parsley
Mozzarella cheese
Pasta sauce

Make it:
1) Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Meanwhile, mix together olive oil, garlic, and herbs in a small plate. Dip 1 side of eggplant into mixture and place on foil lined baking sheet, oil side down.

2) Spoon small amount of herb mixture on top of eggplant and spread throughout top of eggplant. Place in oven and bake for 5 minutes. Flip to other side and bake another 3 minutes.

3) Top with pasta sauce and mozzarella cheese. I only had a block and didn't feel like shredding it. Def would have been easier with pre-shredded cheese. Broil until cheese is melted and lightly browned (I like slightly burnt cheese).

4) Enjoy with pasta and red sauce...which we did not since we couldn't cook pasta. Next time, next time!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me some love and comment below!