Sunday, May 26, 2013

Potato Salad

We are going to our next door neighbor's house this afternoon for a Memorial Day cookout. We decided to bring Kevin's yummy baked beans (an this comes from a girl who is not a fan of baked beans), black bean salsa and chips, and this super easy and delicious potato salad. The baked beans and salsa recipe will follow later.


Gather it:
3 lbs of red potatoes, quartered or smaller depending how big your potatoes are
Scallions, sliced
10-15 strips of bacon
About 3/4 cup of mayo
Mustard (amount depends on how much you like - I use prob about 2-3 Tbsp)
Salt
Black pepper

Make it:
1. Place potatoes in large pot and cover with cold water. Boil until tender.

2. Optional step: lay bacon horizontally on cutting board and cut it vertically to make small strips. I prefer to do this b/c I can cook a lot more at once than only be able to cook 5-6 strips at a time. Plus I don't have to crumble it later.

3. Cook bacon over medium high heat until fully cooked and allow it to cool and drain on a paper towel. I actually use a paper plate, which soaks up all the grease.

4. Meanwhile, combine mayo, mustard, salt, and pepper in a bowl. Stir together and refrigerate.

5. Drain cooked potatoes and transfer back in pot and put it over the hot burner so that any left over water stuck on the potatoes steam off. Allow potatoes to cool. I usually place my potatoes on a baking sheet so that it cools faster.

6. In the pot you cooked potatoes in, put a few spoonfuls of the mayo mixture at the bottom, then some of the bacon and about 1/3 of the potatoes and mix together. I usually taste and see if I need more salt or pepper at this point. If I do then I add it to the mayo mixture. Its easier than having to toss a bunch of potatoes later. Repeat layering of all ingredients and mix together. I usually do this in 3 layers to make sure all the potatoes get covered.

7. Transfer potatoes into a serving dish - I suppose you could have done all the mixing in the dish, but it gets pretty messy and it's all about presentation so make sure to wipe the sides.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me some love and comment below!