Thursday, June 20, 2013

R.I.P.

Alligator passed away a couple of weeks ago. He was with us for three very short weeks. I'm ashamed to say that I didn't handle the whole thing very well. As our ritual every morning, Parker and I went to the bathroom to feed Alligator and then brush Parker's teeth. Only when Parker dropped the first pellet Alligator didn't swim over. Normally he's like a little puppy that goes crazy when it's time to eat. So I peeked in his bowl, screamed bloody murder and cried out: "He's dead! Alligator died! Oh my god!" It wasn't a proud moment especially with Parker right there! At Parker's horrified look, I got my act together and pulled him out of the bathroom since he was starting to freak out.

kevin and i always said alligator was like a little puppy...whenever we walked into the bathroom he would start swimming like crazy and follow us (well as far as his bowl would allow)
First I asked him if he knows what dying meant. I felt that he did after he learned about Jesus during Easter time at school and we talked about Bailey dying. He said yes, but then asked to see him. Unfortunately, I heard the toilet flush just then. Not knowing what to say, I told him that Alligator is playing with Bailey and Jesus in heaven. He had huge tears in his eyes and kept saying: "I just miss my fish!". It about broke my heart!

I knew the fish would die one day, but I wasn't expecting it to be 3 weeks after we got him!

We still have Alligator's bowl sitting on the kid's bathroom vanity and just yesterday morning while I was brushing Avery's hair, she pipes up in her squeaky little voice: "Alligator all gone! Goldfish (she thinks all fish are goldfish) all gone, Mommy!" I've promised Parker another fish, but I don't know if I can go through another traumatic event like that again and have to explain it to Parker.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me some love and comment below!