Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Crockpot Creamy Chicken & Wild Rice Soup

After 2 failed crockpot meals (pineapple chicken and potato soup) due to not reading the instructions very well (cooking w/ 2 crazy kids including an 18 month old who keeps trying to get between me and the counter is tough) I decided it was time to try another crockpot meal. I will try those recipes again though. Anyway, I found this recipe at simplymadewithlove. She has lots of great recipes that I can't wait to try! Oh and I use crockpot liners for easy clean up! Whoever invented this is a GENIUS! I hate scrubbing burnt food on the sides of the crockpot! 

You might think this is just a regular chicken and rice soup, but the roux really makes a difference - it makes it thick and creamy. Kevin and I also added some extra pepper and a sprinkle of salt to our bowls (I tend to not cook with salt and also to limit the kids' sodium intake). The whole family loved it. Avery even had seconds when Parker finally decided he wanted to eat (he doesn't like to eat at 5:30 when we typically eat and instead eats around 6:45-7, which I'm ok with right now as long as he eats). 

I tend to tweak recipes and rarely measure (except for wet ingredients and stuff like flour)...here's my version:

Ingredients:
46.5 oz chicken broth (this is 1 carton and 1 can of broth)
2 cups water
3 boneless chicken breasts (about 1.5 lbs)
2 pkgs of Rice A Roni long grain and wild rice
1/2 cup all purpose flour 
1/2 cup butter (per the recipe, but I used butter in a tub, so I "estimated")
2 cups half and half
half a bag of microwaveable carrots (found at Publix - these are smaller and thinner than baby carrots)
5-6 stalks of celery (cut in half moons - I used the inner stalks including the leaves)
onions - diced
black pepper - 4-5 twists of the grinder
dried parsley 

Directions:
Combine broth, water, carrots, celery, onion, parsley, black pepper, chicken and rice (including seasoning packet) in slow cooker. Cook on low for 6 hours or on high for 4 hours. About 30 minutes before you want to eat, shred chicken in slow cooker - I used a pair of tongs and the chicken just falls apart. Replace lid.
*** I originally used only 1 carton (32 oz or 4 cups) of broth and the recipe called for 4.5 cups. I didn't want to open another box/can for just 1/2 cup. I figured I could add extra broth later if needed. I probably could have gotten away with it, but I needed to add more since I also added an extra package of Rice A Roni in the beginning. 1 package just didn't look like enough. This Asian girl forgot how much rice actually expands. I ended up adding 1 can of broth about 3 hours into cooking. This will make A LOT of soup. We have enough for left over lunch tomorrow and then some. Next time I'll follow the directions and use 4.5 cups of broth and 1 pkg of rice. lol ***
Melt butter in a medium sauce pan over medium heat. Stir in flour by tablespoon to form a roux. Whisk in cream, a little at a time, until fully incorporated and smooth. Stir cream mixture into slow cooker and then let cook on low for 15 more minutes. 
*** left: butter and flour mixture; right: half and half added to mixture - it will resemble a pancake batter in consistency. As you mix the half and half in, it will clump up together. Eventually, it will thin out. You will be getting a good arm workout! ***

the roux mixed with the rest of the soup

all done! the lighting made the soup look yellow...it's not!

ENJOY THE YUMMINESS!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me some love and comment below!