Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Boggled...

The other night I posted this about Avery having a hard time going to sleep at nap time and at night. I thought it was bad...but last night was horrendous! Kevin tried to put her down a couple of times, then I tried a couple of times, then Kevin did...and so on. These "tries" would last about 10-15 min and consists of cuddling, sweet talking, stern talking, pleas, begging, and crying. She finally went down and I thought we were in the clear. I cannot remember the last time that Avery woke up in the middle of the night and we could not put her back to sleep right away. In fact, even as a newborn she was a good sleeper. Usually when she wakes up in the middle of the night crying (which is a rare event), we pick her up and cuddle her for literally 2 seconds before she is reaching down for her crib again and she stays asleep.

this was tonight...sitting in the corner...

Well last night she woke up around 2:35 am. I usually let her cry it out for a little bit b/c she can put herself back to sleep when she wakes up, but Kevin went in after a few minutes. He couldn't calm her down so I tried. By 4:20...yes almost 2 hours later...I was done. I was going to let her cry it out for however long it would take for her to fall asleep. When I started dozing off 30 min later she was alternating screaming and just crying. I woke up with a start around 5 am...it was quiet! I looked at the monitor and saw Avery standing in the corner of her crib. I watched her for a bit then dozed off. I woke up around 6 am and saw her sitting down near the corner where she was standing before. I watched her for about 30 minutes...she would start nodding off and her head would bob forward and she'd pop her head back. I dozed off and woke up at 7 am when my alarm went off. I looked at the monitor and she was finally laying down.

When I woke her up for daycare around 8:15 she had an epic meltdown and took me 10 min to calm her down. Her nanny said she did great today though and didn't have any tantrums. She napped for over 1 hour.

Tonight she had a rough time again. I plopped her in her crib around 9:10 and she wailed for over 30 minutes until I finally had the brilliant idea to talk into the monitor...well rather I "shh shh shh". This worked so well with Avery when she was a baby. Any time she was upset and we'd "shhh" her she'd calm down right away. It still works sometimes. Well it worked tonight...for a bit anyway. She continued to cry a little bit for another 5-10 min then just stood in the corner for another 5 minutes before sitting down. I saw her head bobbing around again so I told her (through the monitor) to lay down. It looked like she'd go half way down and then pull herself back up. By this point Kevin had gone to the store to get some Orajel. He had already given her some Motrin and this was our last hope. He had asked her before I got home if her ears hurt (we thought maybe she had an ear infection), but she said no. She did say yes when he asked if her teeth hurt. But when I ask her to show me where her ouch is, she points to her knee, which does not have a cut or scrape on it. While he was gone I kept telling Avery to lay down, but she wouldn't. When Kevin came home he put Orajel on her gums and cuddled her on the recliner for about 5 minutes then he put her in the crib. As he walked out of her room I saw on the monitor that she wasn't laying down, but sitting in the corner again! Kevin said she told him "no" when he tried to lay her down and she scooted over to the corner to sit.

I don't know why, but I think there's something wrong! I went in her room to beg her to go lay down, she refused. She didn't even want to cuddle. She just wanted to sit in the corner, holding her owl lovey in one hand and her burpy (burp cloth) on the other hand. Then she got this glazed look on her face and she closed her eyes. I think she was trying to sleep while sitting up!!! I held her face and asked her what was wrong. She said she's ok, but I keep wondering why she wants to sleep sitting up??? I shed a few tears in her room b/c she just looked so sad sitting there! I don't know how to "fix" it! Help!!! Am I overreacting? Should I take her to the pediatrician? If so, what do I say? My kid has been crying and refusing to go in her crib and when she does she doesn't want to lay down and prefers to sleep sitting up???

it's after 10:40...3 hours past her bed time...just sitting in the corner all quiet...

**** UPDATE **** She sleeps laying down...this was at 11 pm!!! FINALLY!!!



post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me some love and comment below!