Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Egg Drop Soup

I was craving "Asian" food over the weekend so I decided to "research"...aka browse Pinterest. How easy it is to make plays a big factor on whether I will make it or not. I decided to make Korean Beef (it's really turkey though), but wanted something to go with it. Salad just didn't seem "Asian" enough and then I remembered I had pinned an egg drop soup recipe recently. In my research, I saw other recipes adding corn starch to the eggs. I'm not sure what exactly it does, but I surprisingly had some in my pantry. I'm not sure where it came from...maybe from my mom. It wasn't expired so I used it. lol If I didn't have any I would have just omitted it. I've seen lots of recipes with and without the corn starch so I figured it would work without it too.


Oh and funny story: when I was running my dinner ideas by Kevin I asked him if he liked egg drop soup. He said yes so I added it to the menu. Then tonight when I finished adding the egg to the broth (the step I was most nervous about), I commented: "Well it looks like egg drop soup, right?". Kevin looked at the pot then looked at me blankly and says: "I don't know, I've never had it." What?!? lol Here's my version of this yummy and super easy soup!

Gather it:
3 cans of chicken stock (14.5 oz each)
2 eggs, beaten
1 small piece of ginger (optional, I used 2 left over "nubs" I had from grating the ginger from the Korean Beef)
1 tsp of corn starch (optional)
scallions, diced (optional, for topping)
salt
pepper

Make it:
1. Boil chicken stock and ginger over medium high heat then lower heat to a simmer.

2. Add salt and pepper to taste.

3. Remove ginger. Note: I forgot to remove the ginger and it's pretty hard to find it once you stir the eggs in. Not a big deal if the kids aren't eating it and they don't know that they aren't supposed to eat it. I mean they can, but it can be a little "spicy".

4. n a small bowl, beat eggs and corn starch together. Slowly pour mixture into simmering stock while vigorously mixing the pot to form long threads of eggs.

5. Turn heat off and allow eggs to cook for another minute or so.

Serve while hot and top off with scallions. Parker is going through a soup phase just like I am and he loves eggs so this was the perfect soup for him. He LOVED it!

lickin' his lips. lol my mother in law got me a set of these Asian soup spoons for Christmas a couple years ago after she saw me admiring them at a cooking store in NC and Parker loves to use them any time we are having soup.

he got to the bottom of his bowl and the thick soup spoon couldn't get any more soup. Manners be darned...I let him drink from his bowl. 

baby girl getting some help from Daddy with her soup

Avery is going through an independent phase where she wants to feed herself with a spoon, but she's still trying to figure out how to scoop food out and bring it all the way to her mouth without it falling off. She does pretty well with more solid things like yogurt and mashed potatoes, but rice and soup just falls right off! So she says "heh" (help), but then when I put my hand over her hand to show her to scoop the food, she gets mad and says "NO!". 

Here's the recipe that I based my recipe on.



post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me some love and comment below!