Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Guacamole with Roasted Corn

It's not a secret how much I love Mexican food and Chili's is one of my (and Kevin's) favorite restaurants. Ok, before I get slaughtered alive...I'm aware that Chili's is not a "real" Mexican restaurant, but they do have some Mexican-ish dishes. The past 2 times I've gone to Chili's (both in the last 2 weeks), I've ordered their guacamole with fire roasted corn. It is so yummy!!! I ordered it last night and while Avery ate her waffle this morning, my mind started to wander and think about that delicious guacamole. Soooo I deemed tonight Taco Tuesday...with guacamole! I didn't google a recipe, just kind of made my own up (how hard can it be???) and I didn't use corn on the cob b/c I def was not firing up my husband's ginormous grill (I don't even know how) to "fire roast" the corn. Here's my version of the guacamole:


Gather it:
3 small avocados, diced
1 large tomato, seeded and diced
cilantro, roughly chopped (I just grabbed a big handful - we LOVE cilantro)
a handful of diced red onion (I had leftovers from a prior dish so I just scooped some)
about 1/2 cup of frozen corn kernels, defrosted
juice from half a lime
salt and pepper

Make it:
1. Pat corn kernels dry with paper towels and pan fry over medium/high heat (don't use any oil). Stir to avoid burning, but if you like a few burnt kernels like you would fire roasting it then go for it! Set aside to cool.

while my corn is not fire roasted, it is "pan roasted". no smoky flavor, but I'm not a fan of smoky flavor anyway and this was way easier.

2. Place avocados in a large bowl with lime juice and mash together. I like to leave a few chunky pieces.

3. Add tomatoes, cilantro, onion, corn, salt and black pepper. Mix thoroughly. Taste and add more lime juice, salt and pepper as needed. I had to squeeze more lime juice (to equal 1/2 lime) and salt and pepper to mine.

Enjoy it with some chips! I had mine with blue corn chips for lunch (I can eat chips and dip all day long!) and will be having more with dinner. I'm also going to add it to my taco tonight! I can't wait for dinner!!!




post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me some love and comment below!