Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Korean Beef

Ok, so it should really be called Korean Turkey since I used ground turkey instead of ground beef. And no it's not your typical Korean "Beef" b/c the recipe calls for ground meat instead using steak, but the flavor was there. Of course you can use steak to make it more authentic. But the ground turkey version made it a cheap meal, especially since I had most of the ingredients already.

This was another Pinterest recipe, but of course I made my own little additions. Just tiny ones. One change that I would make next time is probably double the soy sauce and brown sugar so that I have more of a sauce. Kevin and I love extra sauce to put over our rice. Here's my version:

sorry the presentation isn't the prettiest...Kevin dished my bowl up for me. lol

Gather it:
1 lb ground turkey
1/2 cup (unpacked) brown sugar - use 3/4 to 1 cup if you want extra sauce
1/4 cup of soy sauce - use about 1/2 cup if you want extra sauce
1 Tbsp of sesame oil (you can use vegetable oil or olive oil, but sesame def adds a different layer of flavor)
1/2 tsp of freshly grated ginger
1 small white onion, diced
4 cloves of garlic, minced
scallions, diced for topping

Make it:
1. Heat oil over medium/high heat and brown turkey.

2. The original recipe says to drain it, but I'm lazy and NEVER drain the meat so I just crank the heat up to high and add the onion, ginger, and garlic and let extra liquid cook off. It only takes a few minutes to cook off the liquid.

3. Add the sugar and soy sauce and simmer for a few minutes to allow all the flavors to blend together.

Serve it over rice and top with scallions. We also had it with steamed broccoli.  Everyone loved this dish! Parker even asked for seconds and Avery kept waving her spoon and asking for help b/c she was having a hard time getting a big spoonful. We also had it with egg drop soup - post to follow!


Here's the direct link from Pinterest:



post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me some love and comment below!