Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Pineapple Salsa

When I was trying to figure out what to have for dinner this week, I saw that we had a bunch of tilapia filets in the freezer. Kevin wanted to have fish tacos, but I need a taco break so I suggested grilled tilapia with mango salsa. We used to make this all the time when we were dating, but haven't had it in a really long time. I went to Publix and saw that they only had a handful of super ripe mangoes. When making mango salsa, I don't like super ripe mangoes b/c it tends to be too sweet for me and soft/mushy. I wandered around the produce section and decided to just go to another Publix on a different day. Then, I saw the fresh pineapple and figured I'd give it a try.

My family's reaction: Kevin said he liked the pineapple better than the mango and in Parker's words: "Mommy, I wub (love) it!". Avery just said "Ummm!" and remained pretty quiet as she ate. I didn't follow a recipe. I just kind of made my own years ago based on what Kevin and I like. Back in the day, I used to add a jalapeƱo or red pepper flakes to give it a kick, but I can't do that with the kids eating it too. I opted not to add any on my portion, but feel free to add some if you want a little kick to yours. Here's my recipe:


Gather it:
1 whole fresh pineapple, cut in small chunks (I cut mine small b/c of the kiddos)
2 small handfuls of grape tomatoes, quartered
3 stalks of scallions, diced
a small bunch of fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
black pepper to taste
sea salt to taste (I added this to my own portion)

Make it:
1. Mix all ingredients in a medium sized bowl.

That's it! lol It tastes better if you cover it with plastic wrap and put it in the fridge for about 1 hour to allow all the flavors to blend together. It's not required - def still good if you don't do this, but to me it's just better when you let it sit in the fridge for a bit. I made the salsa right after I put the kids down for a nap so it had a few hours to chill in the fridge and get yummy.




post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me some love and comment below!